Frequently Asked Question


In Netherlands, there is an abundance of degrees taught in the English language, which means that course options are almost unlimited for Indian students. Currently, more than 2,100 courses are taught entirely in English and they range from training seminars to Master’s degrees.


For each course, a minimum academic record of 60% and above in Standard XII will be required. Foundations and Diploma programs are available for students who have secured around 65%. The student should have completed 18 years of age before joining a degree program. For the province of Groningen, the required academic records might be different. So if you are applying to a university in Groningen, check with the institute. It is important to remember that even though entry requirements are lower at Dutch universities, the standards are not. So you need to think carefully beforehand whether you will be able to cope with the high standard of education through the course of the next few years or not.


The following documents also need to be submitted:

  • • Mark sheets of Standard X, XII, and the bachelor’s degree (if applicable)
  • • Results of TOEFL or IELTS
  • • Results of Dutch language test Staatsexamen NT2 only for enrolment for programs in Dutch.
  • • If you have work experience then two letters of recommendation (LOR) from the employer/manager who knows you well and can comment on your professional abilities
  • • Motivation Letter (similar to SOP)
  • • Resume
  • • Portfolio (in case of students applying for art and design courses or architecture programs)
  • • Others (Certificates/achievements at the state and national level and extracurricular activities)
  • • Proof of funds
  • • Health insurance
  • • A copy of your passport
  • • Photocopies of these documents should be translated in English and certified by the educational institution or by a notary.

All prospective students can apply for an educational programme to a University in Netherlands, following instructions on the application pages of a particular university’s website. They have to check for the required documents and prepare them correctly in order to start application.


There are 2 ways of application at Dutch universities:

1. universities ask candidates to apply via website, using own online application modules

2. Universities use “Studielink”, a web based enrolment system at universities in Netherlands. Students who wish to enrol at a Dutch higher education institution have to register on the “Studielink”.


Sometimes the university can ask to register first via Studielink and then apply via the university website as well. After registration on the university website or on Studielink the candidate gets the email from the university or from Studielink website with confirmation that application procedure is started. Once students are accepted for the programme, they receive the letter of admission from their university.

An Indian Student planning to Study in the Netherlands requires a Visa to enter and stay there for the purpose. Depending on the kind, of course, the student is planning to undertake, he/she can apply for the relevant student visa – Schengen Visa (for courses less than 3 months) and Entry Visa – MVV and the VVR or the Residence Permit for bachelors/ masters from the Netherlands.

A student planning to take up a course which is over 90 days in duration would need a Residence Permit to stay in the Netherlands for the purpose of completing their education. As per the IND (Dutch Immigration and Naturalization Service), for students planning to stay in the Netherlands for a period of more than 90 days, the university/ institute is their ‘Recognized Sponsor’. Under the TEV (Entry and Residence Permit) Procedure, the visa for the student would be applied by the recognized sponsor. It is important for the student to understand that while the process is essentially the same, it might vary from University to University and he/she is to follow the guidelines as shared by the University.

Under the TEV Procedure, the University would request you to provide the necessary documents and submit the form on your behalf to the IND in the Netherlands. Once the IND approves your application, it would grant you an MVV (Provisional Residence Permit) which would be valid for 3 months. The student can collect the MVV from the Dutch Embassy/ Consulate and then fly to the Netherlands.

On arriving in the Netherlands, Students would then be required by their respective Universities to appear for and apply for a Residence Permit (VRV) within a stipulated time. Again, it may vary from university to university but is usually stipulated between 3 to 5 days. The application is then forwarded by the University for a Permanent Residence Permit which is issued within the following two weeks.

Lots of different scholarships offered to international students who want to study in the Netherlands. Some are specific to the level of study (short courses, bachelor, master’s, PhD), your nationality, or the field of study.

Most of the Dutch Universities have scholarships based on student profile and the student has to apply for the same during their application process.

Erasmus +

This is an EU scholarship that runs between 2014 to 2020, encouraging international student movement and mobility. Erasmus + is for students who want to study abroad during their studies, or do a traineeship. It can be used between 3 to 12 months during a study abroad, or between 2 to 12 months for a traineeship. This must be within the EU. If you are a recent graduate, you can also apply for the Erasmus + grant if you meet certain requirements.

Orange Tulip Scholarship Programme

Various educational institutions take part in the OTS like Maastricht University, the University of Groningen, and the University of Twente, to name a few. By searching each individual country (for example, OTS Brazil), you will find out which institutions and courses are included. You can also find the application requirements and the total amount of scholarship funding that is available.

The Holland Scholarship

This scholarship is designed for international students outside the EEA who want to do a full-time bachelor or master’s degree in the Netherlands. The grant is €5,000, given to you in your first year of study. Therefore, it is not a full-tuition scholarship. The requirements include being a national of a non-EEA country and having no prior degree from the Netherlands. The participating intuitions – which include universities like Utrecht, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Amsterdam, and many universities of applied sciences- have their own specific requirements. These you can find on the institution’s websites.

When thinking about the Netherlands, windmills often spring to mind. Truth be told, it’s a wonderfully eclectic place that has so much more to offer. As a student it’s one of the best places to be, as it offers a high standard of academia, as well as a brilliant work-play balance.

Life as an international student in Netherlands is really exciting. The Dutch are friendly people who are fond of football, fine art, good food and drinks like most Europeans. Students from India will experience a major culture shock in the beginning. The Dutch society is progressive and every one genuinely respects the state and the law.

Netherlands experiences mild temperature throughout the year, with cool summers and moderate winters. Since the country is geographically small, there is little variation in climate from region to region. Average temperature in winters is 2°C to 6°C. In summers, it is 17°C to 20°C.

Netherlands is one of the safest metropolitan areas in Europe. Violent crime rates are fairly low although some petty crimes like pickpocketing are not unheard of, particularly in major cities such as Amsterdam. If you are new in the country never leave your bags or valuables unattended in the public areas. When traveling, it’s always a good idea to have your country’s embassy contact details on hand, should you run into any problems.

Despite the somewhat big emphasis on individualism in Dutch society, group work and cooperation are the rule in Netherlands—and student life is no exception. Engaging in some form of student activity is more of a norm than an exception for many students, local and international like you. Joining student clubs as an international student might take some effort but proves often to be highly rewarding. It can offer a better the view of Dutch culture, society and language in a whole new way and possibly open doors for future working life for that who wishes to live and work in the Netherlands – and obviously help finding local friends.

The education system in the Netherlands focuses on teamwork, creating an ideal environment to make friends. The teaching style in the Netherlands can be described as interactive and student-centred, providing students with the attention and freedom they need to develop their own opinions and creativity in applying their newly acquired knowledge. By studying in the Netherlands, you will develop an open mind and increase your international orientation.

The Dutch system of higher education enjoys a worldwide reputation for high quality. Experience shows that people who have studied at a Dutch higher education institution perform very well in other parts of the world. This quality is achieved through a national system of regulation and quality assurance.

Most Dutch Universities have student accommodation on campus, but allotment works on a first-come first-serve basis. However, there are several accommodation options for students off campus as well. The most common accommodation type is shared, where about four or five students share an apartment or house and usually costs about €200 to €400 per person. Finding accommodation is also pretty simple as most Dutch universities have international student offices to help international students find accommodation. Once you do find suitable accommodation however, you would need to register your address with the local authorities.

Students often engage in jobs along with their education. This helps them in a number of ways. Some students do jobs to help fund their education, while some others do jobs for extra money to enjoy. A lot of students work for the experience they can collect to help them land better jobs on completion of their course. It goes without saying that students enrolled in an English-taught programme and if they do not have know Dutch, certain jobs will be out of reach. For students who can speak a little Dutch, those which require native fluency will be out of reach. Always make sure you know about the relevant formalities and rules before you begin to look for a job.

A few rules and regulations need to be followed for the work opportunities. Working permit for students from different nationalities are different in Netherlands. Students can not apply for work permit themselves. Employers or the employment agency or the organization applies for the work permit on the behalf of the students. Dutch immigration laws have regulated the number of hours a person can work. Students are advised to limit it to 16 hours per week during a school week or full time during summer holidays.

Your daily expenses include food, public transport, books, clothes, and leisure activities. Of course, you also need to take into account the costs for housing and insurance. Students living and studying in the Netherlands for one year spend 800 – 1,200 EUR/month.

Netherlands’ as a study abroad destination offers unique opportunities to international students. The most pronounced one is the post study work permissions – called the Search/ Orientation Year or ‘zoekjaar’ in Dutch. Simply put, students completing their bachelors’ or/and masters’ from an accredited Dutch University are eligible to apply for a Residence Permit for ‘Orientation Year’ which is valid for one year. Not only that, as per new regulations in effect from March1, 2016 – students have three years after completion of their degree program to apply for this permit. What it suggests is that if you have completed your bachelors/ masters or research work in 2016 then you have till 2019 to apply for the permit to arrive and work in Netherlands and find a relevant job. Even graduates of Top 200 Ranked Universities of the World can also apply for this permit to find meaningful employment in Netherlands.

International students who obtain a bachelor’s or master’s degree from a university in the Netherlands can spend a period of up to 12 months to find a job as a highly skilled migrant. Called the ‘search year’, this is the time given to graduates to look for a suitable job in the Dutch market.

With a residence permit for the ‘search year’, you can take up any paid or unpaid employment and your employer does not have to apply for a work permit. However, at the end of the ‘search year’ period, your residence permit cannot be extended. You either should apply for a ‘change of purpose’, or leave the country. If you do succeed in finding a job, your employer will usually assist you in applying for your ‘change of purpose’.

The International students are also eligible to apply for jobs in any of the European nations. Most of the universities have career service offices and will help the student finding a job.

Changes to list of safe countries within the EU
Within the EU, Germany and Hungary will be designated high-risk areas. This means that travellers from these countries will need to show a COVID certificate (proof of vaccination or recovery or a negative test result) when travelling to the Netherlands. This requirement will come into effect on 6 September 9:00 am. Consult the travel advice (in Dutch) to find out what documents you need to show.
Changes regarding countries outside the EU
As of 4 September 0:01 am the United States, Israel, Kosovo, Montenegro and North Macedonia will be designated very high-risk areas. This means the EU entry ban will apply to these countries. People travelling from these countries will only be able enter the Netherlands if they are fully vaccinated or fall under one of the exemption categories for the EU entry ban. They are also required to quarantine for 10 days on arrival as of 4 september 9:00 am. As of 6 September, they must also show a negative test result. Proof of recovery or vaccination will no longer be sufficient. Lebanon will be designated a high-risk area and fall under the EU entry ban as of 4 September 0:01 am, with fully vaccinated travellers exempt from the entry ban. The current COVID certificate requirement will remain unchanged.
Changes regarding countries where there is a variant of concern
As of 4 September 0:01 am, the category ‘very high-risk area where there is a variant of concern’ will cease to exist. Additional measures had been in place for the 16 countries in this category (South Africa and countries in South and Central America). As of 4 September 0:01 am these countries will be moved to either the category ‘high-risk area’ or the category ‘very high-risk area’. Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru and Uruguay will be designated high-risk areas. Brazil, French Guiana, Guyana, Panama, Suriname, Venezuela and South Africa will be designated very high-risk areas. As of 4 September 0:01 am, travellers who have been fully vaccinated or fall under one of the exemption categories for the EU entry ban will be able to enter the EU. The requirement for some travellers to show two negative test results will be lifted. However, other requirements still apply. People travelling from a high-risk area must show a COVID certificate (proof of vaccination or recovery or a negative test result) and the health declaration. People travelling from a very high-risk area must show a negative test result (proof of vaccination or recovery is not sufficient) and the health declaration, and must comply with the mandatory quarantine requirement. The EU travel ban will come into effect at 4 september 0:01 am, the mandatory quarantine requirement at 4 september 9:00 am and test obligations at 6 september 9:00 am.
× How can I help you?